We are glad to look at any early-stage business seeking funding. That said, we’re particularly excited about businesses:
- Designed to achieve and maintain profitability in the foreseeable future, if not today
- Target niches, no matter how small, but especially if they have logical adjacencies
- Operate in un-sexy industries
- Solving “Dual PhD problems”: companies at the intersection of more than 1 domain
We’re particularly focused on assessing teams:
- Obsessed with understanding and implementing Standard Operating Procedures (“SOPs”). We think founders should approach new business models and industries creatively, and simultaneously, take advantage of existing best practices.
- Hailing from non-traditional backgrounds: women, racial minorities, top talent from state schools, etc.
- With international roots, including immigrant founders and engineering based outside of the US.
- Focused on product, market, and business model, not press coverage and VC funding.
- Based outside of the major US tech hubs (i.e., New York City, Boston, California)
- Sensitive to managing their capital table efficiently, e.g., successful second-time founders who realized they only owned a small percentage of their company at exit.
We invest based on the merit of opportunities presented, without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis.